Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Officiant

I'm starting to get a little bit panicky. Catie and I have no clue about who we want to officiate the ceremony.

Neither of us are religious, although we both consider ourselves spiritual.

Neither of us go to church. Catie doesn't go at all. I go very very rarely to the UU church in Brookfield. And it seems completely disingenuous for us to suddenly join just so we can have someone officiate at our wedding.

We don't want to pay some random person a big fee when this isn't even legal. I mean seriously, my three old niece could do it if we wanted from a legal stand point. Because its not legal.

I don't want one of our close family members to do it, because that just doesn't feel right. I'm not sure how to explain why. But neither of us has the kind of relationship with any of our family members where we are like "Hey, I'd really love for so-and-so to marry us."

So what do we want?

Someone who knows us, even if just as an acquaintance. Not just some random stranger.

Someone who would be comfortable doing this.

Someone interested in doing this and willing to sit down and talk with us about what we want and what it all means.

Someone who is very spiritual, but not religious or devoted to the idea that only one faith is right.

Someone who understands why two people would bother getting "married" when it has nothing to do with religion or the law.

Someone who feels like they have something meaningful to contribute to this moment.

We are both pretty much at a total loss over who this person could be. Its freaking me out. And I'm sort of beginning to think we should just can the whole ceremony and skip to the party. Even though that isn't what my heart really wants to do.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you know what you want, you just have to decide who you feel comfortable asking to fill that role. I think when you find the right person they will be honored to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well...that would be the problem. We can't think of anyone we are comfortable with :(

    ~The Lesbian Bride

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have gay friends who've had a similar ceremony? Ask them who they used, how they found that person. Good luck!

    Maxy

    ReplyDelete