Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Love Is More Important Than Hate

This shouldn't be the reason I'm posting again after a long absence. I should be posting something happy, and there has been happy progress to post about. But alas, I felt my experience today needed to be shared.

I'll admit, its been a long while since I've personally experienced some act of homophobia, so I guess I'd sort of forgotten what it feels like. Now I remember. Although, I will say that this time I don't feel as bad as I would have in the past. I guess that is because of a lot of factors - being in a better place emotionally, having someone in my life who gives me so much love on a daily basis that hate can't possibly stand up to it, and also watching the DVD Fagbug. One of the things Erin shared while telling her story was some of the positive notes that were left on her car. And after a moment of horror at seeing this:



on my car today, I immediately thought of all the people out there with love in their hearts instead of hate, and all those little notes of positivity. I have to say, it did make me feel a bit better. Still somewhat angry, but not alone, like I used to feel.

By the way, if you were wondering what prompted the note, it was this bumper sticker:



that I proudly have on my dark blue beetle. Its a message of love. I feel a little sorry for whoever left that note on my car, I'd much rather live my life spreading love rather than hate.

On that note, I promise to get back to the business of sharing the happy details of our impending wedding in the very near future.

1 comment:

  1. That's really sucky. I am sorry someone did that to you. :((((

    This is what has stopped me from putting my own bumper sticker on my car. But this story has made me change my mind- Just think of all of the people you made happy or helped feel secure when they saw your bumper sticker and identified. :)

    Maxy

    ReplyDelete