Sunday, August 1, 2010

Thank You Ebay

So part of my idea for the decorations required obtaining around 75-85 Milk Glass Bud Vases. Originally I had thought I'd just look for them here and there for the next year at rummage sales, goodwills, etc. And then I remembered Ebay. But the shipping charges generally almost doubled the costs of the vases.

I spent one day with Catie trying to look for vases in the area. And after a day of hitting rummage sales and finding no milk glass, and a couple of trips to Goodwill that were somewhat successful, but at that rate I'd probably have to go to 2 or 3 goodwills every week for 4 months to find enough vases, I decided to go back to Ebay.

On average I'd say that purchasing the vases via Ebay probably added about $1.50 per vase extra. Multiplied by 80 vases I was looking at an extra cost of $120.

However. After one week and 2 days of bidding. I now have 75 vases purchased.

I probably spent roughly 20 hours bidding and searching on Ebay vs. approximately 50 hours or more I probably would have spent searching for them in the area. So there was a significant time savings.

Additionally, if I figure out how much gas would have been spent driving around to get them I figure the gas cost would have been about $60.

So at this juncture I would have saved about $60 dollars by looking for them in the area and would have sacrificed about 30 hours of my time.

Now I shall factor in how much Catie and I spent buying other things we didn't really need at the rummage sales we went to. In that one day we spent about $35. Now, I'm sure we wouldn't have spent $35 every time we went rummage saling, but even if we only spent a quarter of that, we would have spent an addtional $100 at least.

So if we recalculate looking for vases in the area would have cost us about $60 in gas and probably $100 in unnecessary purchases, as well as an extra 30 hours of time. Versus the extra $120 per vase by purchasing them on Ebay.

And lets not forget the assumption that I would be able to keep finding what I was looking for in the area at the same rate.

The moral of the story: Using Ebay might have ultimately saved a bit of money ($40) and definitely saved time when it came to purchasing a big portion of our decorations even if it didn't appear so initially when looking at the per item cost. And it definitely insured I got exactly the ones I was looking for versus settling for what was available in the area.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is Jeff D Marsh with Ebay Listing Service, ebay template design, ebay store product maintenance services, ebay template designing firm, Ebay Product Entry Company, Ebay Listing Data Entry India, Ebay listing company, Outsource Promotional Product Entry, ebay store product maintenance India, Affordable eBay product listing service.
    To have better idea about the same just click on the link given hereby at
    http://www.internetadvertising-marketing.com/ebay-listing.html
    I like your information it is helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete